Monday, May 30, 2011

The Albatros Project Part 2

New Albatros Fighter Profiles

Today is Memorial Day in the United States. The weather is hot and I am taking a break to cool down. I decided to post some more of the New Albatros profiles I have been working on. I hope you enjoy them.

I found the reference material for this drawing on Wing Palette. I need to find more background information for this Albatros D.II. I liked it because of the markings and color. That is reason enough for me.

New Albatros D.III Profiles

Albatros D.III Verner Voss - 1916
Albatros D.III Verner Voss - 1916

This Albatros D.III has always been one of my favorites It was flown by Verner Voss, one of Germany's top aces. It was challenging to do because of all the surface detail you have to deal with either in paint or pixels. The hearts are for his girlfriend, and the swastika in the laurel wreath is an Indian sign of good luck.combine that with a natural wood fuselage and it is a satisfying project.

New Albatros D.V Profiles

Albatros D.V Hans Bohning - 1917
Albatros D.V Hans Bohning - 1917

Recent information has surfaced showing this profile is incorrect. Greg Van Wyngarden's Albatross Aces book states that there was doubt that this was ever used on that Aircraft. Dan San Abbott verified this on the Aerodrome message board stating that he had misinterpreted the photo of the aircraft. What was a fuselage cross, appeared to be the Ace Of Spades. Even though it is not accurate it was still fun profile to do. I will update this profile soon so it is historically accurate..

New Albatros D.Va Profiles

Albatros D.Va - 1917
Albatros D.Va - 1917

I am still searching for more information on this Albatros D.Va. I had seen a photo of a modern restoration and liked the insignia and paint scheme. I still need to do another attempt at getting the insignia just right and stand up to reduction of the image for a thumbnail picture.

4 comments:

kingsleypark said...

I think the Albatros D, in all it's models, was one of the finest looking planes of the war

Unknown said...

I have to agree. They had clean lines and a sleek shark-like look. They were also some of the most flamboyantly painted aircraft in the war. I think that is why I have been so obsessive about making profiles of them.

The Angry Lurker said...

That Hans Bohning one is amazing, what a fantastic aircraft design.

Unknown said...

Thanks Fran, good to see you. it was a fun one to make, and easier than it appears basically it is taking the monochrome fuselage layer duplicating it, adjusting the luminescence and colorizing the blue. The rest is just cutting out blue areas like using a decal sheet. I had made the playing cards when working on Italian Hanriot HD-1 profiles, I just applied it, rotated to suit me and slightly deform it to get the curved edge where the fuselage is rounded. I did not discover that the profile most know was in error until looking for more information on the ace for this post. Fixing that is simple though. I just need to delete the ace and add a cross.